Tuesday, 17 March 2020

Burn Cottage Vineyard Riesling Grüner Veltliner 2017

The explosion of fruit in the mouth from this exciting blend is something else. Wow!

Riesling and Gruner Veltliner make up only 3% of the 10 hectare Burn Cottage site. The remaining 97% is all Pinot Noir.

An organic and biodynamic vineyard from day one of planting in 2003, the first Burn Cottage vintage was released in 2009.

Winemaker Claire Mulholland's philosophy is simple - focus on the vineyard to produce vibrant and elegant wines with balance that represent the site.

A blend of 67/33, there was no skin contact with this release and 10.2 grams of residual sugar per litre remain. The intensity and concentration of fruit is stunning. A minerally and chalky backbone holds lemons and limes aloft - think Bickfords lime cordial. Jasmine and yellow flower scents add pretty factor before a lemony tang closes and hangs long. The handling of fruit and residual sugar is superb. Stand and applaud.

Drink to five years+

95/100

Region: Central Otago
RRP: $53
Source: Cellar Door

Winery Website

Subscribe to Qwine here

Follow me: Twitter Qwine  Instagram QwineReviews 



No comments:

Post a Comment